Friday, September 9, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 7 - Five things I couldn't possibly live without

Since it says 'things' and not 'people' I'm going to answer literally instead of going to the safe and predictable places like family or friends... which goes without saying anyway.

1.  A smart phone.  I never really got over my addiction to the Blackberry - which was my gateway drug.  Currently I have a Droid and just upgraded my work phone to an iPhone.  And I carry them both.  I feel naked if I don't have my phone ON. MY. PERSON.  I'm not a lady who keeps it in her purse.  I don't wear pants without pockets.  I never ever turn it off.  Seriously, I could not live without my phone.

2.  Running shoes.  Again, an addiction.  What does this say about me, I wonder?  I used to be a shoe whore and was a sucker for a cute pair of shoes - especially heels and strappy sandals.  Now I love running so much that I have spent my allotted shoe money for the last three years on running shoes rather than shoe shoes.  I do not currently own any sensible black shoes for work and my brown shoes - the last pair I haven't worn out - are ones I bought more than three years ago.  Once my running shoes wear out and I can't wear them for running, they transition into my everyday shoes.  And if the day came that I couldn't afford to buy a new pair FOR running, I would spend food money to buy them and starve instead.

3.  Cottage cheese.  I eat cottage cheese every single day.  It is one of the best forms of non-meat protein and requires no work to prepare.  I love it plain. I love it with berries mixed in.  I could eat it for every meal.  If they quit making it, I would die.

4.  Hair color.  I suffer from a pretty shitty gene pool in the hair department.  I got my first gray hair at fifteen and have been coloring ever since.  If I didn't have hair color, instead of looking like Little Sister's mom, I'd look like her grandmother.  No joke.  No exaggeration.  I'm so busy these days that I don't get time to color it often enough and I KNOW it's time for color when I have a stripe of silver starring me down from the mirror yelling "color me quick!".  If I had to endure having THAT hair color from roots to ends, I would die.

5.  Books.  Bet you saw this one coming, huh?  I don't remember a time when I didn't love to read.  I came home the first day of Kindergarten so mad because "they didn't teach us to read today" like my Mom had said would happen.  I always have a book with me - either tucked into my bag or loaded up on my iPod or my reader app on my smart phone or all three.  If other authors stopped writing great stories for me to read I would die.  Probably why I want to be one of those authors and give back to other readers like me.

So, what on this list surprised you the most?

No comments: