Thursday, August 7, 2008

Twilight... Need I say more?

I know, I know... what a cliche that I'm reading the Twilight Saga but I'm telling you don't knock 'em until you try 'em! I just devoured the 756 glorious pages of the fourth and (supposedly) final installment of the series by Stephenie Meyers in 4 days. I resisted like any mature fiction reader would when told that "you just have to read" a novel written for the teen market. It took my sister and several others several months of hounding me last summer and I finally gave in and took the first one on loan from my sister last October. It started out a bit slow but after 50 pages it grabbed me and I haven't been able to put them down - more often than not having to force myself to stop in the wee hours of the morning so I'm not a zombie at work. (Thank GAWD for coffee!!!) I read "Twilight" and immediately opened "New Moon" because I couldn't wait to see how it continued. I ended up getting my own copies because after the first one I couldn't wait to be next in line on the rotation list for loans within the little circle of readers who were passing it around. I had "Eclipse" on hand already when I finished the second and then had to wait an agonizing 9 months for the fourth, "Breaking Dawn" to be released. And, I have to say that (other than Stephen King's conclusion of The Dark Tower Series) this is the one book I've known the release date of and actually purchased it ON that date as a premeditated act. If you're looking for Pulitzer Prize level writing, you won't get it. But, if you're looking for a new twist on an old theme (vampires - could it get any older than the undead?) that is so fresh and interesting then this is the series for you. Can't wait for the movie... although we all KNOW that the book is always better than the movie!

No comments: