Monday, July 21, 2014

What have you done with your life?

Someone once asked me "what haven't you done?" It was right after I mentioned one of the things I used to do but don't anymore. It got me thinking about all the stuff I've done over the course of my life. Recently I read a very witty bio for a fellow author that listed a few very diverse things she's done in her life that showed an impressive and broad spectrum of achievements. Which of course prompted me to write my own list so I could feel good about myself instead of feeling dull by comparison. It was such an interesting exercise that I figured why not share it? So here's the list for your viewing pleasure. In chronological order of course, because my OCD demanded it. Those in italics indicate things I still do actively. Now you can really believe me when I say I'm an overachiever...

Daughter
Sister 
Friend
Student
Reader
Pianist
Dancer
Camper
Skier
Seamstress
Electronics geek (circuit boards and soldering)
VICA State Officer - High School
Writer
Debator / Orator
Fast food slave
VICA President - SLCC
Baker
Retail clerk
VICA State Officer - College
College student - Communications major
College student - Flight Technology major
Flight school coordinator
Pilot
Tennis player
Biker (of the motorcycle variety)
Guitarist - Dreem Raage (garage band)
Wife
Dirt biker 
Receptionist
Golfer
Accounts Receivable Clerk
Voice of an interactive phone system
Aloette Sales Rep
Janitor
Aunt
Customer Support Rep
Coffee drinker
Mainframe Operator
Smoker
System Administrator - Tandem/NonStop
Operations Manager
Trainer
Technical writer
General Ledger Accountant
Quilter
Mary Kay Independent Distributor
Photographer
Wedding planner / consultant
Reiki Practitioner Level 1
Mother
Home owner
Web developer
Office Manager 
Witch
Realtor
ATM Network System Manager
Non-Smoker
Dance Mom
Book club member
Blogger
Project Manager
Writing Group founder/member - Once Upon A Keyboard
Systems Analyst
Knitter
Runner
Novelist
Ragnarian
Yogini
doTerra Wellness Advocate
Survivor - Kidney disease and pulmonary embolism insanity
Website designer / collaborator
Yoga instructor

So, what have you done with your life? I hope your list is full of accomplishments and growth as you age like mine is. Lots of things I don't do anymore helped point me to the things I do now that I love. And I don't regret any of them - well, maybe I regret smoking a little bit since it was so hard to quit.

Bottom line, there's no excuse. Ever. Tomorrow isn't promised so don't wait for that elusive 'someday' before you do what you've always wanted to do. Nothing is guaranteed beyond today so whatever you do make it count.

No comments: