Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Race Archive 2012

Another aspect of my life summed up and recapped for another year.  This aspect did not live up to my overachiever, make-each-year-better expectations for myself but it is what it is.  This was a regroup and recover from injury year for me that was unfortunately cut short due to that pesky pulmonary embolism but I still accomplished almost everything I set out to do.

Ragnar Relay Wasatch Back
June 15-16, 2012
200 miles Logan to Park City
personal mileage: 13 miles
*worst Ragnar ever in record heat and first one without Hubby due to his injury - I hate running in summer heat!

Salt Lake Half Marathon & Relay
Sept 1, 2012
3-woman relay team
personal mileage: 6 miles

Big Cottonwood Canyon Half Marathon
Sept 22, 2012
*sold out before I could register :(

SoJo 5K
Oct 20, 2012
*ran this one WITH a pulmonary embolism - and still won my division! Worst three miles I've ever run in my entire life.

According to Nike+ which is still my favorite way to track my running, I ran one hundred and fifty miles this year.  And I know that many of those miles are actually walking at work since after Ragnar I didn't do much running to train for the races that I did.  Plus, I chalked up basically zero running in November and December when I was recovering from the "glad you didn't die" episode.  Compared to five hundred miles last year and three hundred the year before that, maybe I know what I gave up in order to read more in 2012 and more importantly why I went into 2012 barely able to run again after injuring myself.  I still love to run and don't need to do races or rack up the most mileage to know just how much.  As I grow older and more introspective, I have come to realize that I run for me and the way it makes me feel and not for what other people think of me when I do it.

I've also learned this year that after the hype is over and I've done a race once (or more) that I need different goals to keep myself motivated.  Hubby and I are skipping Ragnars entirely in 2013 and I'm biting off a little more achievable goals for myself.  The only goal on the horizon is a half marathon six months from now with plenty of time to prepare slowly so no more injuries!  2013 will be a year of improving my overall health and doing as much running as I can.  It won't be hard to improve after the crazy year 2012 was, that's for certain.


No comments: