Saturday, November 7, 2009

Taking time for myself - week 26

This was a pretty quiet week as far as pregnancy goes. Life in general was exciting and full of things going on but not much of it had anything to do with the bun in the oven. The hubby and I celebrated our 15th year of marriage with an evening out just the two of us. It was nice to get out and forget about being parents for a while and just enjoy one another. It was also the first week of NaNoWriMo (otherwise known as National Novel Writing Month) so all of my free time - what there is of it - was spent writing. I'm behind in my word count if I want to do the minimum each day and get to the required 50,000 words to "win" the event but considering everything else I have going on with a full time job and keeping up with a very involved 8 year old, I can't help but be proud of my current 4500 words in less than a week. The best thing is it is all new material and better than I thought I had it in me to write. Of course it is only a first draft and even when finished not fit to be read without at least one edit, but it is a fossil that I'm excavating out of my subconscious bit by juicy bit. If I accomplish all I want to, I'll 'win' NaNoWriMo with 50,000 words and then finish up the first draft by the time the baby is born in late January/early February. Then I'll take a break to adjust to a newborn again and pick it up for an edit around the same time I go back to work. I love the creativity and the big dreaming - an indulgence I rarely take for myself as I grind away at day to day life.

As far as the baby news is concerned, things have been extremely quiet compared to the previous couple of weeks. I had a bout of heartburn that made me have to sleep on the couch - what a pain in the ass that was - but a few hours later I was able to lie down again comfortably. The weather was unseasonably warm this week and I got out walking a couple of afternoons at work and a couple of mornings before work with the dog. I don't remember being this active when I was pregnant the first time and I think it is why I have so few complaints this time around. Not to mention that I'm keeping the weight gain under control which makes me very happy. No doctor visits or new complaints this week either. Just an uneventful week of fetus development. Here's to at least a couple more weeks like this before we head into the final stretch.

No comments: