Thursday, August 1, 2013

If you want something done, do it yourself

I'm not sure if my overachiever tendencies stem from my OCD or if it's the other way around (what came first, the chicken or the egg?) Regardless of how I came to be the way I am, I've always agreed with the statement that if you want something done right you should do it yourself.

I work for a healthcare organization and this year they have launched multiple programs to get us, the employees, to live healthier. They gave us all pedometers as part of our yearly employee gift. They have multiple contests and incentives to track your fitness activities. And they haven't let up even though the year is more than half over which tells me they are really serious about getting us all healthier. We have a fitness center on site that hundreds of us pay monthly fees to use. I've heard other facilities within the organization have gotten permission to use part of those funds to pay for regular yoga instruction as a benefit to the fitness center users. And we all know how addicted I've become to yoga since I had to take a hiatus from running. So I started pushing for that to happen here. Months later I'm still getting the run around about how there's no budget for that and blah blah blah.

Meanwhile, I do yoga in my cubicle every time my back hurts and sometimes that spills over into the aisle. A couple of weeks ago two of my co workers started talking about how they want to do yoga at work and how come we can't have classes, etc. while I did a warrior series in the aisle and they marveled at how I could just do yoga wherever. The conversation came full circle to end with "Terra, why don't you teach us?"

Hmmm.  Why don't I?

Other than that very obvious reason that I'm not a certified yoga instructor aside, why couldn't I? I practice yoga twice a week minimum and on occasion have even led my group practice when there are newer yogis in attendance.

So, in very overachiever fashion, I booked an auditorium that would hold us all and taught my first class yesterday. Everyone loved it so much that they begged and pleaded for it to be a weekly happening. My boss said okay and now I'm looking online at ways to get certified to teach yoga.

What an amazing journey life is when you open yourself up to wherever your whims take you without limiting your possibilities. If I hadn't taken matters into my own hands we'd still be waiting around for other people to make regular yoga classes happen for us. Instead I've gotten a whole new group of people excited about yoga who talked all day about how sore they are and who can't wait for next week. I love life and am still so glad I didn't die!

No comments: