Thursday, September 11, 2008

National Novel Writing Month

Well, it's official... I'm going to write a novel. In November to be exact. I heard about this National Novel Writing Month last year like the day before it started and couldn't arrange my schedule to handle the required 50,000 words to finish by the end of the month. Not to mention that I drew a total blank on what I wanted to write about. I guess that's a common problem. The whole concept is that people always say "someday I'm going to write a novel" and yet the someday never comes because you try to plan and you try to outline and then you get scared and then you never even start. NaNoWriMo (as it is referred to) is designed to just get you writing in a gleeful free-for-all where you just don't care. It's about quantity not quality. The hope is that whatever I spew out will be more than I would have written had I never done the NaNoWriMo and perhaps have potential with some editing and re-writes. My neighbor and fellow book clubber and her husband have written a novel and it really got me to thinking "hey, I could do that!". And, as the hubby is so wont to say - usually delivered a bit scornfully and a bit on the contemptuous side as I have my nose buried in a book... "you've read so many books you should be able to write one yourself". We shall soon find out!

No comments: